For the next instalment of my new project, the quilt “Jane Austen’s Bonnet”, by Brenda Ryan, I have been trying to include a greater proportion of ribbon embroidery in my pieces. However, I think I still have a bit to learn, as my work is looking much more puckered than normal!
This quilt is a wall-hanging, and features 20 diamond patches that are embroidered with various stitcheries on a Regency theme. The embroideries are nicely framed within the patchwork structure of the quilt and the result is very pretty.
The colours of my quilt are green and purple, so I am trying to arrange complimentary colours in my embroideries as well.
For the seventh and eighth embroideries I have done a bonnet and a reticule.
For this bonnet embroidery I used: backstitch, stem stitch, seeding stitch, colonial knots, and fly stitch. There is also quite a bit of ribbon embroidery on the bonnet flowers and the bonnet trimming.
For this reticule embroidery I used: back stitch, running stitch, blanket stitch, daisy stitch, beetle stitch, stem stitch and chain stitch. There is also quite a bit of ribbon embroidery on the centre flowers and the handle of the reticule. A button and two pearl beads have also been added.
For each embroidery I have stitched an additional line of a quick running stitch around the outside of the diamond to mark the stitching line, which I hope will be useful when I put the quilt together.
Stay tuned for Part Five of this series.
Sources and Relevant Links
Jane Austen’s Bonnet – by Brenda Ryan Embroidery Designs